Influencing Legislation and Legislators for the Lord Jesus Christ.

Planned Parenthood Gives CEO The Heave-Ho

Job 5:12: “He disappointeth the devices of the crafty, so that their hands cannot perform their enterprise.”

On July 16, 2019, Planned Parenthood fired its chief executive officer, Dr. Leana Wen.

Dr. Wen had come on board as Planned Parenthood’s CEO last November following the departure of longtime leader Cecile Richards. She will be replaced on a temporary basis by board member Alexis McGill Johnson.

In a statement, Dr. Wen indicated that she and Planned Parenthood’s board had “philosophical differences over the direction and future” of America’s largest abortion provider. Dr. Wen wrote that she joined Planned Parenthood “‘to run a national health care organization and to advocate for the broad range of public health policies that affect our patients’ health,’” but added:  

‘The new Board leadership has determined that the priority of Planned Parenthood moving forward is to double down on abortion rights advocacy… With the landscape changing dramatically in the last several months and the right to safe, legal abortion care under attack like never before, I understand the shift in the Board’s prioritization.’

Dr. Wen’s efforts to “emphasize the group’s status as a health care provider, shifting away from the political focus [Cecile] Richards instilled during her 10 years as president,” were not welcomed. According to one source, Dr. Wen seemed uninterested in “‘the long-term future of abortion access work that had already been going on, saying there was no budget for it.’” Buzzfeed News added that Dr. Wen created friction on political correctness grounds; she reportedly shied away from “trans-inclusive” language, removed the word “sexual” from the phrase “sexual and reproductive health,” and avoided using the word “abortion” as a stand-alone term.

Columnist Rich Lowry raised a telling question: If abortion really is only 3% of Planned Parenthood’s business, why would its leader be fired for wanting to focus on the other 97% of the organization’s work?

Answer: She wouldn’t. Planned Parenthood is all about abortion.

One final note: Please pray for Dr. Wen as she continues to recover from a recent miscarriage. As Abby Johnson stated on Twitter, “Prolifers, our job is to reach out to Dr. Leana Wen in love. Snarky memes & words will not bring about conversion. Let us also remember that she is a woman grieving the loss of a miscarried child. Let us treat her with care, not callousness. Let’s be the people we say we are.”