New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms (NYCF) is New York’s evangelical Christian lobbying organization. We exist to influence legislation and legislators for the Lord Jesus Christ. While some readers have been involved with our organization for many years and are familiar with our efforts, others may not be familiar with the specifics of how we carry out our mission. How do we influence legislation and legislators for the Lord Jesus Christ?
Our work takes many forms, including the following:
- During the state legislative session, which typically extends from January until June, NYCF staff work at the New York State Capitol. We attend and monitor legislative committee meetings, advocate for our organization’s priorities in conversations with legislators and staff, build relationships with elected officials, offer commentary to members of the media, and observe Assembly and Senate sessions.
- We also make periodic trips to the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. to work with New York’s congressional delegation. We’re boots on the ground in legislative halls.
- NYCF prepares position papers articulating a Christian perspective on various pieces of legislation. Those position papers are distributed to every member of the State Legislature.
- NYCF maintains a Legislative Action Center on our website, AlbanyUpdate.com. The Legislative Action Center enables New Yorkers to connect with their elected officials about matters of concern.
- Using social media and our website, NYCF shares key information with our friends and supporters. We also use these channels to influence politicians and the media.
- NYCF monitors the status of legislation. In a given year, thousands of bills are introduced in the New York State Legislature. Our staff tracks bills that are of interest as they are introduced and as they move through the legislative process.
- NYCF works with our affiliate organization, New Yorker’s Family Research Foundation, to hold our annual Legislative Day event every March. This event serves many purposes, including providing a public Christian witness in Albany.
- At times (and typically when an elected official is going through a difficult time), NYCF staff may have opportunities to pray with legislators and offer spiritual guidance.
NYCF is thankful for the opportunity to serve the Lord at the New York State Capitol.