On January 7, at a rally with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at Barnard College in New York City, Gov. Andrew Cuomo called for the passage of a state constitutional amendment guaranteeing the “right” to abortion.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo is already looking to pass abortion expansion legislation in the first 30 days of this year’s legislative session. Known as the Reproductive Health Act, the current version of the legislation would:
- Eliminate the requirement that abortions be performed only by licensed physicians;
- Take abortion-related crimes off the books in cases where pregnant women miscarry after being assaulted;
- Unambiguously establish a state-law right to abortion after more than 24 weeks’ gestation when the abortion is “necessary to protect the patient’s life or health” (which, based on court decisions, would allow late-term abortion for any reason at all);
- Assert the existence of a “fundamental right” to abortion under New York law; and
- Repeal existing protections for viable babies born alive following late-term abortions.
Apparently, in the eyes of the Governor, even this outrageous and extreme abortion proposal does not go far enough; rather, the Governor now purposes to enshrine abortion expansion in the New York State Constitution.
The Governor’s implacable pursuit of abortion expansion is tragic for the unborn children whose young lives will be snuffed out by the pitiless abortion industry if he is allowed to get his way. In this grim season, New Yorkers who believe that innocent life is worth protecting must do everything in our power to thwart the Governor’s plans.